Authentic Learning in the Digital Age: Engaging Students Through Inquiry
By Larissa Pahomov
List Price: $26.95
Discount: 10% Off
About the Book
How can you create an authentic learning environment—one where students ask questions, do research, and explore subjects that fascinate them—in today’s standards-driven atmosphere?
Author Larissa Pahomov offers insightful answers based on her experience as a classroom teacher at the Science Leadership Academy, a public high school in Philadelphia that offers a rigorous college-prep curriculum and boasts a 99 percent graduation rate.
Pahomov outlines a framework for learning structured around five core values: inquiry, research, collaboration, presentation, and reflection.
For each value, she presents:
- A detailed description of how the value can transform classroom practice and how a “digital connection” can enhance its application.
- A step-by-step outline for how to implement the value, with examples from teachers in all subject areas.
- Solutions to possible challenges and roadblocks that teachers may experience.
- Suggestions for how to expand the value beyond the classroom to schoolwide practice.
- Anecdotes from students, offering their perspectives on how they experienced the value in the classroom and after graduation.
The framework is a guide, not a prescription, and middle and high school teachers—individually or as a team—can use it to structure whatever content and skills their current school or district requires.
The book also includes suggestions for how to integrate technology into inquiry-based education, but the principles and approaches it describes can be applied successfully even in places without abundant technology.
Both practical and inspiring, Authentic Learning in the Digital Ageis an indispensable handbook for reinvigorating teaching and learning in a new era.
Get the inside story of how a renowned school—the Science Leadership Academy in Philadelphia—creates an authentic learning environment where students ask questions, do research, and explore subjects that fascinate them. Author and classroom teacher Larissa Pahomov takes the work of 25 teachers and 500 students and distills their ideas, passions, systems, and structures into a framework you can learn from and implement in your school. Discover how you can:
- Create an authentic learning environment in today’s standards-driven atmosphere.
- Implement a personalized, inquiry-based education in a typical secondary classroom.
- Use a solid but open structure to guide curriculum and classroom design.
- Integrate technology into inquiry-based education.
Find out how a devotion to five core values—inquiry, research, collaboration, presentation, and reflection—ensures students benefit from their education long after they’ve graduated.